First World Championship for Person with disabilities
Bremen. During the 22th Senior World Championship in Bremen the WKF wrote history. Starting in 2008 only with an idee, filling it with a lot of hard work during the next years, till the 21th Senior World Championship in Paris 2012.
There, Wolfgang Weigert for the first time has the chance to invite People with disabilities to make a Demontration Competition. It was a great succes, so the WKF executiv committee decided to include the Competition for Person with disabilities in Bremen 2014.
This message has spread very quickly and so ensued a variety of athletes invited by Antonio Espinos from 5.- 9. November to Bremen.
43 Athlets arriving from 21 differtent Countries from 5 Continents followed the invitation to crown the first World Champions in Kata individual. After this first Championship we had the first 6 World Champion:
- People with learning Disabilities Female (Salma Alaaeldin; EGY)
- People with learning Disabilities Male (Marvin Nöltge; GER)
- Blind and Visually impaired Female (Helga Balkie; GER)
- Blind and Visually impaired Male (Ray Morcomb; AUS)
- Whelchair user Female (Uliana Smyrnova; UKR)
- Wheelchair user Male (Franck Duboisse; BEL)
This inclusion of persons with Disabilities in „normal" Senior World Championship never before toke place in the history of Sport. So we all have been part of wonderful dream with came true.
Thank you for all beeing a part of it.